1) Why is wedding stationery important?
Your stationery is your wedding branding that ties everything together, from your save the date, invitations, to stationery on the day. It’s the first glimpse people will get off the day and how do they say, first impressions last.
2) A few tips when choosing a stationery designer:
– Your wedding stationery is a way to show off your style as a couple so it’s important to find a stationery designer who ‘gets’ you as a couple. You want your stationery to reflect both your personalities and who you are as a couple.
– Make sure your stationery designer has an eye for detail. It’s always nice when there is a consistency throughout the designs so everything forms part of one cohesive look and also compliments your over al style and décor.
– Look for a stationery designer that not only applies good design principles, but produces a good quality finished product.
3) Let’s talk about mood boards!
Always start with a mood board to capture your vision for the day. It will not only spark inspiration, but will make sure all your suppliers are on the same page. It sets the tone for the look & feel of all your wedding elements. If you are ever wondering if something fits with the vibe of your wedding, refer back to your mood board and see if it’s cohesive with that feel.
A planner will most of the time do a mood board, but if you don’t have that luxury stationery designers can also help or even just a coordinated Pinterest board helps a lot!
4) Planning / timelines
Stationery, in general, takes about 4 – 6 weeks to complete. So make sure you get in touch with a stationery designer at least 3 months prior to the day or at least 3 months prior to when you want to send out wedding invitations. Usually, it takes about 2 weeks to finalise the design, one week for printing and one week to do finishing touches.
Save the dates go out 6 – 9 months prior to the day.
Invitations 2 – 3 months prior to the day.
The average amount my clients spend on stationery is about R15k (this includes the save the date, invitations and stationery on the day) but we work out custom-quotes depending on the couple’s style and unique needs.
Written by: Nadia Wiggett